Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Under the Microscope

After nearly 10 months since coming on staff with the church, today I underwent my first significant evaluation. I often feel like the "golden boy" of the congregation--like I can do no wrong. I receive lots of affirmation on a weekly basis, yet little constructive criticism. I asked my evaluating committee to give me honest criticism, and I received exactly what I asked for. Oh sure, there were plenty of words of encouragement, but I also got some less than flattering feedback. When considering first impressions my committee stressed how "green" I was when I first started. I was also told that I needed to be more out-going and create a sermon outline when preaching. I appreciate the feedback, but I don't know if I agree with all of it. Nevertheless, it's not easy having your work scrutinized and criticized. I wish I could say that I absorbed every word dispassionately, but the truth is that it's hard not to feel just a little defensive. But this is how we grow, learn, get better, and become more self-aware. However, my plan for tomorrow is to go hang out with some of the little old ladies for a little self-esteem boost!

Random: As I write this Obama is about to address a crowd of 20,000 in St. Paul Minnesota, and his wife Michelle just gave him "knucks" before he approached the podium. What a woman!

1 comment:

JET said...

i scorn sermon outlines.