Friday, June 27, 2008

Epic Post

The past two weeks involved a short trip to Seattle overlapping with my parents coming out to New England for a 10-day stay. A lot has happened since my last post, so I won’t bore you with every detail. Instead, I’ll keep it pithy and include some photos which involve, for my sake and yours, a lot less effort than reading and writing. In chronological order, a few highlights of the last 10 days are as follows:

Boston: In my last post I shared about how I took a Boston Duck Tour and that a Prius tried to pick a fight with our amphibious vehicle named Beacon Hilda and lost. But what you don’t know yet is that the Celtics’ parade of downtown Boston following their game six victory over L.A. gives me more to share about the Duck ride. While watching the local news, my mom spotted our beloved Duck transporting finals MVP Paul Pierce (well, I’m pretty sure it was him) through the streets of green and white confetti. And just when you didn’t think it couldn’t get any better… Mr. MVP himself is standing exactly where I was in the Duck less than a day earlier! Okay people, I know, I know, but please try and keep your composure.

Acadia National Park: Acadia is small compared to other national parks like Yellowstone or Glacier. But it’s definitely one of New England’s most naturally beautiful areas. I’m taking a group of students camping there in August, so it was nice to preview the park. My dad and I hiked Cadillac Mountain, the spot from which you can view the earliest sunrise in North America.

Birthdays: My parents were born exactly 364 days apart which means they celebrate back-to-back birthdays ever year. It was great being with them to celebrate their birthdays. Folks from the church say they look more like my siblings than parents. I might have to agree with them.

Bike Ride: Dad and I took a pretty epic bike ride along the coast of Maine, finishing at Nubble Light; thought to be the most photographed light house in the world.

VBS: All this week my mornings were spent at the church doing Vacation Bible School. I didn't know if I would like working with three, four, and five-year-olds; but to my surprise I really liked working with this age group. I think I finally understand the whole having kids thing now.

No comments: