Friday, May 30, 2008

The Audacity of Peace

The other day I received a forwarded email that had been sent out to a group of politically conservative members of my congregation. The email featured a video (see below) of Senator Barack Obama stating his views on the war in Iraq, military defense spending, and goals toward global nuclear missile disarmament. I actually don't know who was responsible for sending the original email, but there were several remarks about Obama's plans as being "scary" and "incredibly naive."



After watching the video I must admit I was a little confused. I didn't find anything at all "scary" about the senator's position. In fact, I really liked it. I understood him to be holding out a peaceful vision for the future. Now before you say to yourself: "Oh, here we go again—just another young, white, educated guy caught up in the rock star status of Obama," bear with me for a moment. I happen to like Obama, but this isn't about Obama's candidacy as much as it is about a Christian perspective on peace and what it means to be people who witness to the Kingdom of God.

Although the Old Testament is not shy about strife between nations and the Israelites often times being right in the middle of all the war and bloodshed, we can’t overstate the vision that one day peace would eventually fill the lands. The prophets testified to this future hope of a peaceful world. Perhaps the most enduring image the Prophet Isaiah lifted up was that found in Isaiah 2:4-5:

“He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the LORD!


The prophet’s vision for a peaceful world would be reinforced in the person of Jesus, Israel’s long awaited Messiah. On the night he was betrayed, Jesus refused to fight and refused to have any of his followers engage in acts of violence. I hear it often quoted, but let's not forget that Jesus was the first to choin the phrase, “Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.”

When I consider the thrust (thank you Dr. Spina) of the biblical narrative, I have to say a vision of peace is one the most central features. The prophets talked about it. Jesus talked about it. Even the book of Revelation talks about it. And as those who follow in the Way of Jesus, giving witness to the Kingdom of God, it would seem that we too should work towards peace. So why are Christians, out all people, so reluctant to believe that a day would ever come where we could be making political strides with other countries to jointly dismantle nuclear arsenals? Why is peace such an audacious endeavor?

5 comments:

Tyler said...

im on your side ric so i don't have a lot to add. my grandparents from nebraska learned about my seattle times thing and had similar things to say about obama. there is a lack of trust from many Christians when it comes to peace. I don't totally understand it either.

I think you worded what you said really well.

chad said...

I would have to say what scares me about Obama is his stance on abortion and the fact that he can't possibly deliver on every promise he gives.

I also believe that when the Bible discusses the idea of peace it is tackling a much bigger issue than peace between countries in this world. However, I don't have time to yell at you two "young liberal Christians" (just kidding).

Hope things are going well for you in New Hampshire. You should email me about some of your latest experiences in youth ministry...

Ric Wild said...

Well, I guess us young liberal Christians will just have to stick together...haha! Chad, Where did the abortion comment come from? You two-issue conservatives are an interesting breed (hehe). I'll shoot you an email soon. I want to hear about what going on in your ministry, too. I heard that New Harvent received some excited news.

Ella said...

People have to look a polotics and who they vote for with their own eye. Look at the records. Don't watch videos people send out. I get flooded with them on all sides.
Yu can make up your own mind and that what freedom means.

Peace,

Ella

Sofia said...

Hi, well im not american, but some relatives of mine lives there and i only want them to be safe, i noticed Obama is not naive actualle i believe he's just saying everything that some of us wanted to tell long time ago, for the good of the world America must be in peace, is not a fair war, at least is not fair for the kids.
See u around