Friday, May 9, 2008

Sailing Trinity

Recently a women from the church suggested that I try and get on the crew of a sailboat. I've had some experience sailing with my dad and have enjoyed it, so I figured it would be worth looking into. Tonight I attended the 2008 Summer of Sailing Kick Off Party at the Captain Simeon's restaurant in Kittery, Maine. I knew I couldn't stay long, but I was still nervous about walking into a crowded room alone, wondering how I was going to finagle my way onto a boat. Luckily, the woman who had suggested the whole crewing a boat idea had supplied me with the name of a skipper belonging to the Portsmouth Yacht Club who was to be in attendance. All I knew was that I needed to talk to Doug. But here's the weird part: People wanting to crew a boat were to wear a bright yellow rist band while skippers wore matching baseball caps. The social standings of the sailing community were clearly drawn, and I was unmistakably at the bottom of the caste. Eventually I found Doug. Doug entered my number into his phone's contact list. I think I'll be crewing a 47 ft. Sailboat this summer named Trinity.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

wow that is awesome. you don't get sea sick i hope. i'd be tossin cookies all day long.

Rachel said...

sailing sounds like fun! i'm jealous. i seem to remember having a conversation about mark driscoll some weeks ago and i thought you would enjoy this blog post: http://inhabitatiodei.wordpress.com