Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I Have To Do What!?

Way back when, when I first learned that I would officiate a wedding within the first year of my internship I was pretty much scared to death. Why you ask? For starters, I have never been married and I’m nowhere close to being married. Furthermore, I’ve never been involved in a relationship that ended well—they’ve all been rather disastrous. “Disastrous” may be too strong of a word, but I’m feeling eccentric. I've always wondered, "What do I have to offer these people?" Anyway, despite all my anxiety surrounding the inevitable duty of officiating a wedding, I am extraordinarily pleased to say that my experience with the couple whose wedding I will be officiating July 19th has been far better than I could have ever imagined. They have been extremely laid-back throughout the whole process and the dialogue that has emerged out of the pre-marital counseling has been very constructive, if not exciting. During our third meeting yesterday it was fun to talk about how we will always have a special connection. Forever I will be the young minister that officiated their wedding, and I will always remember them as being the first couple I ever had the privilege of declaring husband and wife.

No comments: