Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's Inauguration Speech

There were several moments throughout the inauguration ceremony that made me cringe, but I'll spare you my cynicism. Instead, I'll focus on something positive.

I appreciated Obama's address. The following is my favorite quote from his speech:

To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it.


I'm deeply encouraged by our new president's commitment to alleviate the suffering of our world's most impoverished. Too many people have died needlessly because people living in "nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty" have failed to act. I hope that we can change with the world by helping to make it a place where all people flourish.

What was your favorite part of Obama's inaugural address?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use. Our security emanates from the justness of our cause; the force of our example; the tempering qualities of humility and restraint."

I don't agree with much of what is quoted above, but I too will spare you my cynicism. The last seven words are what caught my attention and sparked a glimmer of hope. The commander-in-chief speaking of "humility and restraint". Let's hope these two words are taken seriously.

Carol said...

my favorite part was champagne and weird pumpkin pasta with too many bread crumbs. oops.