Sunday, June 28, 2009

Life at Camp

I don't have long. I need to get to bed soon. I have enjoyed my day off, but my 6:15 AM wake-up is easier to accept when I get to bed nice and early. I'm working on a maintenance crew at Pilgrim Pines Conference Center. I've never been more over qualified for a job. But I appreciate the opportunity to work with my hands and see projects to completion. I'm on a staff of about 30. Only one other person on staff is older than me, many of the others are still in high school, and my staff coordinators are younger than me. It's kind of weird. I live with two other guys on the maintenance crew in a cramped room above the dinning hall. It constantly smells like B.O. and I don't have much private space. Did I mention that my phone doesn't really get reception? If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm really not... I like it here. It's been a fantastic experience so far. I've enjoyed getting to know everyone and it's an experience I won't soon forget. For the time being, I love the lack of responsibility. I like that my food is prepared for me and that I know that I can always jump in the lake after a day of intense manual labor. Carol is here, too. That's a bonus. I don't drive nearly as often and my schedule is predetermined. Well, that's all for now... A more constructive post about life at camp should be soon to follow.

No comments: