Monday, June 8, 2009

A Day to Remember

Sunday was my last official day on staff at Rye Congregational Church. After two years, it was time to say goodbye. I received some very kind words and some incredible gifts from everyone. When it came time for me to share my reflection, I was feeling so overwhelmed that I just couldn't get through it. After trying to regain composure a number of times, I left the last paragraph unsaid. However, I think my tears made up for what I couldn't say out loud. Below is my reflection in its entirety:

In May of 2007 I came to Rye Congregational Church for the very first time. Despite what people tried to tell me about New Englanders, I found you all to be a warm and welcoming bunch.

After my visit and during my flight back to Seattle, I was reading a book by Henri Nouwen about Christian leadership. Because of my visit to Rye, Nouwen’s words struck me with immeasurable force. He writes: “The servant-leader is the leader who is being led to unknown, undesirable, and painful places.” For me, New Hampshire was certainly unknown. Prior to my invitation to come east, I couldn’t even point at New Hampshire on a map. Rye was also undesirable. It was thousands of miles from home, and the prospect of leaving behind friends and family was certainly painful.

Although God sometimes calls us to unknown, undesirable, and painful places, I believe God is faithful to meet us in these difficult seasons of life. God has richly blessed me in these two years. God has used all of you to bless me with the gift of community and friendship--with the gifts of your love and affirmation. Thank you for becoming my second family. Thank you for being my second home.

There is not sufficient time to recognize each individual that has contributed to my personal growth and development as a pastor, but I do want to say that I am especially thankful for Pastors John and Chris and their guidance and mentorship over these two years. Together you have given me the opportunity to exercise my gifts for pastoral ministry, and have allowed me to greater discern God’s calling upon my life. I am indebted to you both for the investment you have made in my life.

In the beginning of this journey, I felt the sting of the unknown, undesirable, and painful places that Nouwen wrote about. But now, at the end of this journey, I have a great joy for knowing all of you and for being known. Now, Rye, New Hampshire is a desirable place--a place that I have come to love and appreciate. And whatever pain there was in the beginning has given way to lasting friendships and unforgettable memories. I thank God for all of you.

No comments: