Sunday, April 26, 2009

It Pays To Be Honest

With five upcoming weddings (two I'm officiating, and three I'll be attending/participating in), I decided to bite the financial bullet and make an upgrade in my formal wear attire.

Last week I walked out of Express with three dress shirts and two ties. They were all on sale; however, I was puzzled when I swiped and signed for a mere $59.48. I got half way to the parking lot when I decided to turn back. I was certain the associate had rang me up incorrectly.

When I returned to the register, the associate was obviously embarrassed for her mistake, but grateful for my honesty. She said she probably would have gotten in trouble for the miscalculation.

No regrets with going back, but the decision did mean paying nearly twice as much for my purchases. In this case, I paid (more) to be honest.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That would be pretty ironic if you had decided not to go back...a member of the clergy purchasing church attire ripping off Express. ;)

Still, $120ish isn't too bad for what you got.

JET said...

if this ever happens to me, i'll probably remember your story and HAVE to go back.

Carol said...

wooooo clothes that fit!

Tyler said...

im impressed!

Suzanne Townsend said...

Guests at the hotel always get angry when they bring to our attention that we forgot to charge them for parking, and we thank them for their honesty by charging them parking. They're much less understanding...