Monday, April 27, 2009

The Difficult Task of Listening

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak..."
James 1:19

A few days ago I met with a women from the church who was deeply concerned about her grandson. I listened for almost a solid 80 minutes as she shared about feeling overwhelmed with her grandson's actions. I appreciated her sharing with me, but I was wiped afterwards. Actually, fatigue started to set in right around the one hour mark. Listening, I mean really listening, is a difficult task. But I am convinced that simply listening was the greatest ministry I could have possibly offered her. She didn't want nor need answers to her family's problems. She needed a listener. I certainly prefer the two-way street of dialogue, but sometimes all people need is someone who will simply listen.

No comments: