Sunday, August 10, 2008

Tres Equis Tire Change

Last week was spent mostly in Juarez, Mexico. I participated in a multigenerational short-term mission trip with members from my church and the Baptist church down the road in Portsmouth, NH. I have a million things running through my mind right now. I don’t know where to start…so I won’t. Instead, I’ll just share a funny story and a snapshot to match.

As I drove the 15-passenger van full of youth group kids to within a mile of the Mexico/USA boarder, I got a call on my cell from Todd who was riding shotgun in the mini van behind us. Todd informs me that the van had two flat tires. At this point I’m wondering how a car gets two flat tires at the same time. Nevertheless, no van gets left behind. We circle back and find our companions in the mini van pulled off in an empty parking lot right off the road in front of a….oh, what is this? The irony is inescapable: A church sponsored mission trip group numbering twenty-five corralled around a deflated Chevy Uplander in the parking lot of a strip club. Although the kids in the back of the van are laughing hysterically, I demonstrate unparalleled pastoral maturity by quickly jumping out of the driver’s seat to snap this picture:

3 comments:

Jon said...

that is on the way to the Amor Ministries camp isn't it?

Nase said...

I am still really curious to hear how you managed to get two flat tires...haha, but your maturity was clearly demonstrated in this situation! Well done...

Laura Colby said...

amazing. i'm calling you tomorrow.