Saturday, August 16, 2008

As Summer Comes to a Close...

I’ve played a good deal of catch-up in the office this past week. It feels strange to already be focusing on the fall, and the beginning of the church’s program year. It always amazes me how quickly summer passes. But this summer has gone by especially fast. And what an amazing summer it’s been. I’m grateful for the wonderful opportunities I have had in the last three months to travel domestically and overseas, to see best friends, officiate a wedding, play host to my visiting parents, and surf the biggest and cleanest waves I’ve ever seen in person thanks to tropical storm Bertha.

Tomorrow (Sunday) will also be kind of a memorable day. The two other pastors on staff are away on vacation and I’m in charge of the entire worship service. It’s an odd feeling. It feels similar to when my parents left me home alone for the very first time. But at the same time, I have this preliminary feeling of being totally comfortable. I have never had this large of a responsibility before, yet I’m confident that all will go well.

Sunday also means that the summer fun continues as I head up north to Acadia National Park with a handful of youth group students. This will be the first time I’ve been camping since last August. Although I’m looking forward to the four-day get away, I’m just a little nervous about taking student into the semi-wilderness. Pray that they all come back alive.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

wow that is awesome. ill be praying for you.