Sunday, March 16, 2008

Junk

There’s a niche market for just about everything nowadays. The church is no exception. I was recently sifting through a pile of catalogues and other “ecclesial junk mail” in the church office and came across a church supply catalogue called Living Grace. The cover was announcing Stoles For All Seasons As Low As $19.99 (Wow what a deal!). The attractive-obviously-not-a-pastor model on the cover sporting the white clerical robe and purple stole led me to investigate further the catalogue's contents. As I flipped through the pages of the catalogue I was taken back by all the Christian junk being sold for a discount rate if ordered by the case. Here are just a few of my favorites:





1) The “Noisy Offering Can” is advertised as having a “metal bottom" which "makes taking of offering NOISY! Listen to the change rattle in the pot and watch the giving momentum grow!” I bet the Pharisees had a Noisy Offering Can.
2) “The Gospel in a Nutshell”? You can’t be serious. Someone’s going to get punched.
3) Oh thank God we finally don’t to have to settle for the same ole boring clear communion cups. Now you can get them in “Bronze” and “Cherry”.
4) The “Golf-style polo shirt with embroidered Ichthus" now gives me something to sport on the week days.

My hat’s off to Living Grace for providing affordable church supplies since 1948.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha oh my gosh dude -- that is some funny stuff hahaha. rare is it that I laugh out loud at stuff that I read but I laughed pretty hard with that post!

Brokenness-Quebrantado said...

why your blog is called penance?

Ric Wild said...

Um, well, because I like the idea of confession; especially confession that has been traditionally viewed as a means of grace (read my first post). I guess this is a start. Or maybe I just think it's a cool word. Why do you ask?