Monday, March 24, 2008

New York on a Dime

This past week my sister came out to visit along with a friend of hers that I had met over the summer. We planned on doing some serious traveling: 5 states in 6 days including a two night stay in New York City. Of course, the three of us had little money to back up our ambitions to travel so we needed our dollar to go far. Lots of people we’re telling me how expensive New York is (and it is), but surprisingly there are some really inexpensive travel and lodging options:

1. I live about 50 miles north of Boston and by far the cheapest way to travel between Boston and New York is via the infamous Chinese buses. There are several of these so-called Chinese bus companies that offer direct travel from China Town Boston to China Town New York for a mere $15 each way. Granted, these are older coach style buses with dated upholstery and seats with a protruding metal bar that runs across your back; but if you’re not concerned about traveling in style or comfort and just need to get to New York cheaply this is the mode of transportation for you.





2. Hostels in Harlem are cheap. You can’t find any where cheaper to stay in Manhattan. Okay, so I’m totally not racist or anything but I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t slightly concerned about walking the streets of Harlem with two girls. But being the only white people around wasn’t all that intimidating and for $17 a night we couldn’t let such a deal pass us by. $17 included a bed, linens, a towel, and all the knock-off brand sugary cereal you could eat for breakfast.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, I was just in New York. Only for a day, though. You're not kidding about the expensive thing...my friend and I split a Reuben sandwich and a side of fries at Stage Deli and our bill was $28 before tip! Now I know why the starving actors that move there are all starving!

Yep, I go to Calvin. And I'm a nurse to be and wannabe theologian, I guess. I got really interested in in my junior year, thought about seminary, realized that I would need another 2 years for all the extra classes, and what would I do after seminary if I didn't want to preach, cause I don't want to preach! So for now it's nursing by day and theology by night. I'm auditing this modern theolgy class on Jurgen Moltmann that I'm really enjoying. Where do you go to seminary?

Rachel said...

Oh yeah, and interesting comments about Mark Driscoll. I'm pretty sure he called Rob Bell a heretic recently...hehe!