Tuesday, February 19, 2008

When Things Don’t Go Quite Right…

On Saturday I spent $182.74 to take three kids inner tubing. I don’t know how I’m going to explain this one to the finance committee at my church. If you’re interested in learning more about how I got myself into this mess, please continue reading.

I was anticipating about 10-20 students coming on my snow tubing trip. My church doesn’t own any vans, so I recruited all five of the young adults from the church to help shuttle kids to a really cool snow park just over the boarder in Massachusetts. To compensate them for their time, I paid for my drivers’ lunches and admission into the park.

For lunch, I had Wal-Mart’s (I know, know…) deli put together enough sub sandwiches to feed 24 people. Judging what it costs for a 15” sub that can feed three people that cost about six bucks I figured it would cost me less than $50 to feed everyone. When I picked up the sandwiches Saturday morning I was a little perturbed to find out that my order would set me back more $74 (obviously I didn’t know what I was buying and too dumb to ask what it would cost). But it’s only 8:00 AM at this point so I keep my head in the game. By 9:15 A.M it’s time to head off to the snow park and I have 6 adults (including myself) and 3 students standing in the lobby of the church wondering if anyone else is going to show up. We wait 5 more minutes before loading into the cars (we only needed two). So that’s pretty much it. Way too many drivers, way too many volunteers, way too much food and way too much money spent on food, and not enough kids to justify it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ouch dude! let's hope you got some serious air snow tubing though! haha you'll remember this trip for a longggg time hahah and let's hope you learned that this is what happens when you buy deli sandwiches from Wal-mart!! :)