Thursday, April 24, 2008

Evangicubes

I'm very much aware of the differences between the churches I have attended throughout high school and college and the church I now attend. For example, the churches I have attended in the past have been faith communities that have gathered in gymnasiums, warehouses, and storefronts. In terms of style of worship, "praise and worship" bands have been the norm, and it hasn't been uncommon to see people wearing sandals and T-shirts on a Sunday morning with coffee in hand. In most of these churches I would describe the worship experience as "informal," or to use a word I don't like at all: "contemporary." Although each of these churches had their unique identities, they would all be considered (conservative) evangelical churches. At the church I currently worship at (and work for) we sing hymns, and instead of a worship band we have an organist. We sit in pews and the choir wears robes and no coffee is allowed in the sanctuary. I guess you could say it's just a different way of worshiping--a more "traditional" style--or something.

But I'm also becoming more aware of other differences. Compared to the evangelical churches I grew accustomed to in high school and college, my current church, several generations ago, was part of the United Church of Christ (UCC). Although the formal affiliation with the UCC dissolved some time ago, the identity of the church I think still most closely resonates with what we might describe as Mainline Protestant. Besides styles of worship, here are some other differences I perceive to exist between evangelical churches and mainline churches: First of all, mainliners seem to be more dependant on clergy to perform certain rites. And I'm not talking about the sacraments or anything, I'm talking about praying over a meal. In my experience growing up in evangelical churches there seemed to be a more robust doctrine of the priesthood of all believers at work in the community. Secondly, mainliners are biblically illiterate. I'm sorry but I don't know how else to put it. Whereas most evangelical Christians would be happy to share their favorite book of the Bible, or recite their latest "memory verse," or tell you what N.I.V. stands for, many mainliners have little knowledge of scripture. Lastly, (and this is probably an obviouse one) mainliners have little ambition to tell others about their faith or their involvement with a faith community. I don't think most would know what it means to "witness" to a neighbor or co-worker, whereas many evangelicals would have handy a book mark with the "Romans Road" on it or something more clever like an evangicube. Ohhh evangicubes.... I guess I'm glad I know what those are.

No comments: